Wednesday, July 6

Third Party Vehicle Insurance

COMESA / Yellow Card: Insurance valid in one of the member countries, can be extended to cover all other states. We bought Zambian 3rd Party (valid for 6 months) and bought the COMESA extension in Zambia to cover all member countries for the same 6 months. You can buy 3rd party insurance and the COMESA in the first member country that you enter. Valid countries are: Burundi, Comoros, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sudan, Swaziland, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Egypt and DRC don't accept COMESA insurance, so you have to buy local insurance.

ECOWAS / Carte Brun/Brown: Similar to the above, covering Senegal, The Gambia, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Mali, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Burkina Faso and Niger.We bought 3 months ECOWAS insurance in Senegal.

CEMAC / Carte Rose: Similar to the above covering Cameroon, Gabon, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, CAR, Chad. We bought 2 months (min) insurance in Cameroon - it was cheap.

GREEN CARD: This allows you to use insurance from one of the countries in other countries, but normally only for a limited period of time and very expensive for vehicles registered outside the region. We bought ours at the Bulgaria border. The countries in dark green are always included. The countries in light green are sometimes included, normally for an extra fee.

South Africa and Namibia (light blue) have 3rd party insurance built into fuel tax, so you don't need to buy anything at the border. The countries in dark blue require their own 3rd party insurance to be bought at the border.

No comments:

Post a Comment